Living a little OCD, inherently particular, and believing my agility partner is a high maintenance dog, has resulted in keeping my 8 "Go To Products" that I can not live without, close at hand.
1. K9 TOP COAT - Arctic Fleece Bodysuit (www.k9topcoat.com)
Product Description: A close-fit, water / snow resistant, Arctic fleece bodysuit for dogs. The 4-way stretch material moves with the dog, is easy to put on and stays in place even when the dog is quite active. Size range from pint size to extra large.
Personal Experience: K9 TOP COAT's customer service was knowledgeable and friendly with selecting the correct size for my Dog. Dobermans, not having an under coat, I purchased this "FULL BODY" coat as a tool in frigid temperatures to assist my Doberman in warming up his muscles before agility class and trials.
2. Crash Test Toys - Custom Made Tug (website)
Crash Test Toys are Flyball and Agility motivators designed and made by Keith Lundy, near Brockville in Ontario, Canada. With a large variety of tug toys, they will also custom design tugs.
Personal Experience: This is the only training toy that I am able to play tug with my 83 pound Doberman. The custom made "Lucas Tug" is easy to hold on to, with a strong bungee, and quality sheepskin. The circular shape allows me to quickly and easily get a good grip and shift my weight to keep my balance. I have yet to find any other company to offer a combination bungee tug WITH sheepskin.
The owner of Crash Test Toys is friendly, customer service oriented, fast, innovative, and provides very reasonable prices for both pre-made and custom orders.
3. Igloo Gallon Jug (www.igloo-store.com)
Product Description: Compact, easy-to-carry, sturdy water jug, with a wide base that prevents tipping. Features a stain- and odor-resistant liner for easy cleaning.
Personal Experience: Perfect size water bowl for a large dog that won't tip, fits well in a large dog crate, and is easy to carry. I never leave home with Lucas' jug of water.
4. Small Book Bag
Why a small book bag? Rather we're at a trial, class, out-of-town, or off doing other dog sports, I'm prepared to go on a walk to get connected with my dog, provide an activity, or cool down after a run with my grab-n-go book bag. Small, light weight, and pre-packed, I never find myself without what I need for my dog.
My small book bag always contains:
- Favorite Toy
- Dog Poop Bags
- Flexi Leash (for non-crowded areas)
- Arnica and Rhus Tox
- Rabies Certificate
- A little cash
- Sun glasses
- Car keys
- Depending upon the season, I may keep gloves, wind jacket, and a coat for Lucas in the bag.
5. Large Kong AirDog Squeaker Donut
Product Description: Air Kong Squeaker Donut is made with nonabrasive tennis ball material that will not wear down dog's teeth. Also features a great squeak that your dog will go crazy for. 100% Pure Tennis Fetch Toy features a nontoxic felt cover and it floats high in the water for your pup's spotting and fetching ease.
Personal Experience: The Kong Donut Ring is Lucas' ultimate play toy. It is perfect
for warm up, play, or dock diving. (This is always in the small book bag.)
6. Premier Easy Walk™ Harness (www.premier.com)
Product Description: The Easy Walk Harness is designed to gently discourage dogs from pulling while walking on a leash. The unique front-chest leash attachment stops pulling by tightening slightly across the dog's chest and shoulder blades. The gentle pressure steers your dog to the side and redirecting his attention back towards you.
Personal Experience: Love the harness. Great for those who have A LOT OF DOG.
7. Dog Foot Care
- Tuf-Foot - Tuf-Foot's skin toughening properties is ideal for hunting dogs, working dogs, and all other dogs on the move. www.tuffoot.com
- Firm Grip - Firm Grip is an all-natural rosin spray that can be applied to your dog's pads to improve traction when climbing obstacles, jumping, running on artificial turf. www.doggonegood.com
- Epsom Salt - Good for soaking bruised paw pads.
- Musher's Secret - Made from 100% natural waxes, I use this on cracks and dry paws. (Note: Wax stays on paw for a few days. Don't use right before competition.) www.musherssecret.net
- Tresaderm - Heals torn paw pads quickly. www.us.merial.com
- Dremel Tool
8. Handler Care
- Cleats - Best for training or trialing in mud, wet grass, or sandy surfaces.
- The Stick - The Stick warms muscle without expending vital energy stores, performs both general and segmental stretching procedures, removes trigger point barriers to peak athletic performance, enhances strength, flexibility and endurance, and accelerates muscle recovery and relieves pain. (www.thestick.com)
- LOKI Midi Fleece - The Midi Fleece is ideal for winter layering and this light weight, quick drying 3/4 zip pullover. The fleece pullover comes with a built in face shield, mitts, hood, and large hand pockets. (www.lokiusa.com) DGTA8N3PJFPV